SEMAI is a tightly-knit group devoted mostly to research. In addition to its regular staff and infrastructure many professionals from other departments, laboratories and faculties regularly collaborate in the research, adding flexibility and interdisciplinary acumen to its experience in the fields of RES, hydrogen technologies, waste treatment and reuse, etc. SEMAI has thus participated in numerous R&D projects, Concerted Actions, etc, mostly within the EC-funded programmes but often involving institutions from South America, Africa and Asia. Some of these projects are:
- Res2h2 - Cluster Pilot Project for the Integration of RES into European Energy Sectors Using Hydrogen;
- Adira - Autonomous Desalination System Concepts for Sea Water and Brackish Water in Rural Areas with Renewable Energies-Potentials, Technologies, Field Experience, Socio-Technical and Socio Economic Impact;
- Oprodes - Optimization of Reverse Osmosis (RO) Desalination Systems Powered by Renewable Energies;
- Ro-Solar-Rankine - Development of an Autonomous Low-Temperature Solar Ranking Cycle System for Reverse Osmosis Desalination;
- Wasser - Utilisation of Groundwater Desalination and Waste Water Reuse in the Water Supply of Seasonally-Stressed Regions
Areas of expertise: renewable energies, desalination, photovoltaic, hydrogen and fuel cells, education, water reuse and environmental issues.