BME Department of Energy Engineering
Research and educational field cover thermodynamics, which is the theory base of this science, operational and design principals of engines and other energy generation equipments, energy generation system optimization and environmental protection aspects.
This department was formed in 2003, by the merger of the Department of Heat Engines and Department of Energy. Both predecessors have long run experience in research and education and have wide range connections to industrial and to foreign research partners.
This department has experience in theoretical investigations, CFD simulation and practical tests of energy transfer equipments as boilers, internal combustion engines, steam-and gas-turbines, cooling equipments and heat pumps. Furthermore, it also has experience in modeling and optimization of heat and electricity generation systems.
Some fields of experience:
- Investigation of heat and power generation possibilities based on different biomass forms including wood and other biomass resources.
- Investigation of biomass based liquid fuels (e.g.: bio-ethanol, vegetable oils, bio-diesel, etc.). Determination of optimal parameters. Investigation of usage. Optimization of production and usage.
- Investigation of biogas fermentation energy balance, production and usage for energy generation. Optimization of system operation.
- Investigation of biomass gasification gas usage for energy generation.
- Investigation of waste material incineration solutions and usage for heat and power generation.
This department has a well equipped laboratory, which has the following facilities:
- Synthetic gas mixture supply system for firing and operational tests.
- Oxygen enrichment system of air for combustion tests.
- Mobile and stable flue gas analyzer systems which are suitable for measurement of different pollutant components.
- Infrared camera and Schlieren equipment (for index of refraction visualization) for investigation of flames and energy processes.
- Test burners for combustion limit and flame velocity determination.
- Fluidized bed pilot combustion system for investigation of different solid fuel firing.
- Gas engine for operation with gas having low heating value (bio-gas)
- Diesel engine with variable compression ratio for Cetan-number determination
- Micro gas-turbine operated with gas having low heating value (bio-gas).
- Micro gas-turbine operated with different liquid fuels.
Target audience: Research and development cooperation partners. Based on the long term experience and facilities the department may be a flexible cooperation partner for combustion tests of different bio-fuels in engines, turbines or boilers. It is able to perform operation trials and operation condition investigations with different solid, liquid or gaseous, raw or refined bio-fuels in internal combustion engines, gas-turbines or boilers. The department is keen on taking part in dissemination of bio-fuel applications, and looking forward to cooperating in this field.