- To develop policy and to achieve sustainability and greater self sufficiency in energy, based on best national and international practices.
- To improve the health and quality of life of all members of society through a more efficient use and generation of energy.
- To integrate energy supply and use issues with respect to all spatial infrastructural and development plans.
Some of Donegal County Councils objectives include:
- to promote energy efficiency though education and awareness
- develop a variety renewable energy projects including green transport
- to eliminate fuel poverty
- to promote training and the establishment of an energy conservation resource centre
- to develop a comprehensive Energy Policy and County Energy Plan
- to develop links between relevant stakeholders
- to work towards the setting of county targets