The plant was founded in 2001 with a production capacity is about 4.000 tonnes/year using different kind of vegetable oils, and two main objectives:
- Recycling and transformation of used and raw vegetable oils coming from different origins, in a first stage cooking oils coming from Canary Islands and northwest of Spain, into biodiesel for transport.
- Carrying out research, development and demonstration activities centred on the production process, and oriented to produce a replicable model of efficient biodiesel production plant.
Recent R&D and demonstration projects are listed below:
- 2003. "Biodiesel demonstration in Asturias" Four units of public bus running on pure biodiesel during three months. Pilot project in cooperation with other regional companies and authorities.
- 2006. "Biodiesel from used cooking oils: new production and purification processes." Funded by Spanish Ministry of Environment.
- 2006. "Development of reactor and continuous process technologies for biodiesel production from used cooking oils". Funded by Spanish Ministry of Industry and FICYT Asturias Regional Government.
- 2005. "Optimal operation conditions for biodiesel production at an industrial scale". Funded by Spanish Ministry of Education and Science.