Comune di Cabras
Area Marina Protetta, Penisola del Sinis, Isola di Mal di Ventre
Year created: n.a. No of staff: n.a.
The Municipality of Cabras (8,889 habitants, surface 102 Kmq, demographic density 87 inhabitants/square km) located in the centre of the Western coast of Sardinia in the Oristano Province, is rich of uncontaminated nature, history and archeological places.
Cabras is looking to introduce and diffuse Renewables and Energy Savings projects, in order to act as an exemplary Small Sustainable Municipality in Sardinia.
Several Sustainable driving actions have already been activated or are planned such as:
Marine Protected Area "Penisola del Sinis - Isola di Mal di Ventre": Set up in 1997 by National Decree of the Ministry for Environment, covering a surface of 25.000 ha and 30 Km of coasts, including:
- Tharros archeological site;
- Park of Seu, belonging to the Municipality and including coastal typical protected Mediterranean area;
- Wetlands under International Protection (e.g lagoon of Cabras 2000 ha).
- Agenda 21 P.O.N.T.I.S.
Sustainable actions such as:
- Separate municipal waste collection (as first municipality in Sardinia);
- Protection of the coastal shores and areas;
- Renewable Energies use (PV, domestic biomass);
- Sustainable Fisheries & tourism activities;
- Management of the off shore marine area.