ALE Lyon - Agence Locale de l'Energie de l'Agglomération Lyonnaise
LEA Lyon - Local Energy Agency of the Greater Lyon area
Year created: 2000 No of staff: 18
Sources of Funding
|10% - European|
|15% - National|
|20% - Regional|
|45% - Local|
|10% - Private|
ALE - Agence Locale de l'Energie du Grand Lyon, the local energy agency of the Greater Lyon area was created in 2000 to implement actions regarding energy efficiency, renewable energy and green buildings. It mainly works with citizens, local authorities and social housing companies.
ALE's team notably works on awareness raising actions (activities in schools, conferences, exhibitions...) and includes experts on technical aspects: high environmental quality of buildings, RES in buildings (solar, PV and wood energy), energy efficiency standards... It is also in charge of helping the Lyon conurbation with implementing its Climate Action Plan.
ALE has been involved in many European projects since its creation in 2000:
- work with citizens on the reduction of CO2 emissions at home and in transport (Eco'n'Home)
- work on solar public swimming pools (SOLPOOL, www.solpool.info)
- implementation of local climate action plans, with climate mitigation and adaptation aspects (AMICA, www.amica-climate.net)
- adaptation to the French context of a German and Swiss climate and energy certification tool "European Energy Award" (REVE Jura Leman)
- promotion of energy efficient equipment, through the training of appliances sales personnel on energy efficiency issues (Promotion P3E, www.promotion3e.ips.pt/promotion3e)
- integration of active and passive solar potentials in urban development projects (POLIS, www.polis-solar.eu)
- large scale integration of renewable energy sources into decentralised local energy supplies (RENAISSANCE, part of the CONCERTO programme, www.renaissance-project.eu)
- blended capacity training programme on sustainable energy issues and measures for European local decision makers and municipal technical staff (BEAM 21, www.beam21.eu)
For these projects, ALE has collaborated with Energy Cities, Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung, Klimabündnis, Ecofys, and many other European partners.
The Greater Lyon conurbation is a 510 km² large urban area, grouping 58 cities and 1.3 million inhabitants together. It is also the 2nd largest urban area in France, in the most dynamic region in France regarding renewable energy (universities, research centers, factories, large network of non-profit organizations). ALE thus has very good links with many local energy actors and local authorities.