Chinese Academy of Science - OPET China
Guangzhou Institute of Energy Conversion, Chinese Academy of Sciences (GIEC CAS), which originates from Guangdong Geothermal Laboratory, was established in October 1978. In April 1998, former Guangdong Satellite Observation Station of CAS was affiliated into the institute, and in the same year, the institute was confirmed as the base for high-tech R&D of CAS. In June 2001, it became a demonstration base under the Knowledge Innovation Projects of CAS.
GIEC mainly undertakes R & D on clean energy engineering, and its strategic task is to explore innovation technology and technological integration on new and renewable energy, with solar energy, ocean energy, bioenergy, geothermal energy, solid waste energy and gas hydrate as its main research orientation. Moreover, GIEC has founded the key laboratory of renewable energy and gas hydrate of CAS and Guangdong Renewables R & D Key Laboratory.
GIEC's typical activities include:
- R&D on new and renewable energy utilization technologies & equipments and energy efficiency, and transfer of innovations to industry and agriculture;
- Finding a solution to environmental pollution and energy conservation associated with conventional energy use;
- Developing energy regeneration technology for environmental pollution abatement process;
- Promoting related sciences and engineering, transfer of knowledge and innovations corresponding to the nations energy and environmental goals, and strengthening of the national competitiveness;
- Promoting rational energy use in industry, transportation and households;
- Training and promotion of technology talents in advanced science;
- Keeping close contacts with research institutes and market actors home and abroad, exchanging energy technologies, policies and related information with other countries.
Areas of expertise:
- R &D on renewable energy, energy efficiency, rational use of energy, emission reduction, waste disposal and generation, etc;
- public awareness raising;
- science populization;
- talents education;
- related national policy making; etc.